Friday, August 1, 2014

Heathers at 106.7 Lite FM's Broadway In Bryant Park was SO VERY!

Well, FMGWAC! Yesterday, PRTC got to witness the absolute rip your seams laughing and cry your eyes out beauty that is Heathers: The Musical at both BWBP as well as last night at the New World Stage. From realistic numbers like Beautiful, to the quirky numbers like My Dead Gay Son, Shine A Light, Blue and Freeze Your Brain to songs that you feel, like Seventeen, Lifeboat, Meant To Be Yours and Kindergarten Boyfriend, there is a bit of every emotion in here.
(If you don't feel during Lifeboat or Meant To Be Yours I'm not sure what will make you feel.)

Every high schooler I've met who has seen this show, has connected, laughed, cried, and related.

If you haven't yet you've gotta motor to see Heathers before it closes on August 4th! The cast is full of talent. In all honesty, I don't think I've seen such a myriad of inter-cast love, on-stage talent, on-point costumes, or complete reality from a comedy musical, so color me impressed. This show is NOT going to be a High School Has Been any time soon. Heathers fans, referred to as Corn-Nuts, are by far one of the most dedicated fansicals out there. (Including my lovely group which came in costume to BIBP.)

In all honesty, I can say so much about each member of the cast, almost like never before, about how dazzling this cast is. They're Big Fun, and really do know how to Shine a Light. I really am almost as a loss for words. PLEASE! Do run and see the show! It's worth it beyond belief.  Check out how Very the cast is below!


PRTC: Describe the show in one word
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): [Laughter] Damage.
Jessica Keenan Wynn (Heather Chandler): Very.
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): Surprising.
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Oh gosh! Hopeful.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): Sassy
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Very


PRTC: Describe your character in one word
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): Goth
Jessica Keenan Wynn (Heather Chandler): Mythic
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): [Laughter and pondering] I don't want to say hopeful. Lonely! [Laughter] Yeah, backstory!
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): It's, it's right there. How could it be anything but beleaguered.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): I play the Young Republicanette, and I'm also the understudy for Veronica, Heather Duke and Heather McNamara.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Maniacal. 


PRTC: What is your favorite scene in the show?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): Shine a Light
Jessica Keenan Wynn: F*ck me gently with a chainsaw
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Pep Rally. 
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): Uhhhh
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Wait! You can have the pep rally if you want,  I changed my mind [Laugher]
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): No, you can have the Pep Rally. This side of my brain is freezing!
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): You're doing great
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): The scene with Seventeen.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): The breakup scene actually. I don't know why, I just really like that scene actually. I don't know, I just really like it.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Meant To Be Yours


PRTC: What is your favorite memory since joining the cast?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): [Laughter] The first time going on and having this circle we do before every show and we get to say something good and it's fun to be a part of that and actually go on afterwards.
Jessica Keenan Wynn: Laughing on the benches with Kurt and Ram during Dead Gay Son.
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): We threw a homecoming! That was the best. We didn't know each other, but we decided to throw a high school homecoming party. It was awesome.
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): First day is always kind of a magical thing. 
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): Probably the first day when I met everyone from the New York cast because I had been part of the LA cast, so meeting everyone for the first time and seeing who would be playing who was definitely amazing and one of my favorite memories.Everyone is very nice.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): This might become one of my favorite memories


PRTC: Favorite song to perform?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): Big Fun
Jessica Keenan Wynn: Me Inside of Me
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Candy Store.
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): Probably doing the freeze stuff during the holy sh*t part of Fight For Me.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): Probably the Finale, I like the finale a lot.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Meant To Be Yours


PRTC: Favorite Slurpee Flavor?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): [Laughter] Coca Cola because it melts and it's still the same. 
Jessica Keenan Wynn: None. I actually don't drink Slurpees. I'm a vegan and a health nut.
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Coke.
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): [Whispers] I've never had a slurpee. Don't tell anyone
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): [Laughter] You're fired.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): OOO! The Mountain Dew one. The mountain dew one is really great.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Pina Colada and Coca Cola.


 PRTC: What do you like about the musical that wasn't in the movie?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): [Laughter] The music.
Jessica Keenan Wynn: Music
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): Martha's character. She's in the movie, but she's combined with a bunch of other characters and I love that friendship a lot.
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): All the times that JD gets to sing stuff, he gets to express things he doesn't get to express at all in the movie.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): I like the new relationship with her parents because now the parents actually play a little bit of a role, while the parents are kind of checked out in the movie.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): It's happier, it's more hopeful.


PRTC: Are there any similarities between you and your character?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): [Laughter] I was kind of weird in high school and I was into punk-stuff
Jessica Keenan Wynn: She's very particular about her hair. 
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): [Laughter] I was much more straight-laced than Stoner Chick in high school. I would NOT have been allowed to wear that to school or indulge in any of those activities at all
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): Very poor fashion sense.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): Well, I actually got to make up my own character, so she's very much like me, very quirky. 
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Yeah! I'm angsty, I've got problems. We just handle those in different ways


PRTC: And is there anything you want audiences to know about the show before it closes?
Lauren Cipoletti (New Wave Party Girl): Like us on Facebook! [Laughter] 
Jessica Keenan Wynn: Come see it before Monday. It's so very you'll never forget it.
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): It's not a bleak show. It's not the dark show you think it is. [Around here, a fan came over again to talk to Rachel and she lost her place]
Dustin Sullivan (Beleaguered Geek): This cast is the coolest cast. The nicest cast.
Rachel Flynn (Stoner Chick): The nicest cast.
Cait Fairbanks (Young Republicanette): It's not just a fun show. There's a lot of things going on underneath the surface that are important, but also about all the ridiculous-ness that might offend some people, have some meaning. It's not just there to insult you or make you scared, it's actually there for a reason.
Dave Thomas Brown (J.D.): Support live theater. Pause your Netflix and see more live theater



In all honesty, I couldn't agree more with Rachel and Dustin's depiction of the cast! The cast is such a beautiful, fun loving, and talented cast. I highly recommend watching this entire cast, because they ARE going somewhere. The cast is unbelievably talented and I could see the next Nathan Lane and Patti LuPone's coming through in this group. With unmatchable talent and comedy, if you can, run your bum down to the New Worlds Stage right now and catch one of the last performances.

As a special treat, the video edition of this interview with Dave Thomas Brown will be posted soon. I chose to share this one with you guys because you get to see the oh so Very cast in the background making some great faces.

So go out, grab a Slurpee, freeze your brain, and PLEASE go catch this spectacle for the ages at the New World Stage. It's unbelievably important.

Catch Ya Later Corn-Nuts and Theater Lovers a-like,
-Celeste













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Let me know in the comments!