Friday, July 25, 2014

Cinderella attends the Ball at 106.7 LITE FM's Broadway In Bryant Park 2014

It's Thursday! You all know what that means! 106.7 LITE FM's Broadway in Bryant Park!

This week, one of the 5 shows to perform was Cinderella.

I had the opportunity to see this show during previews and I highly recommend it to everyone. Me being me, I wasn't initially COMPLETELY stoked for the show.

When you hear Cinderella, you instantaneously think of the very stereotypical original tale you grew up watching on VCR (Does anyone watch VCR's anymore? Anyway.) And when you hear Rodgers + Hammerstein, you think of Oklahoma, which takes quite a while to grow on everyone.

However, this Cinderella is for everyone. It's a completely new take on the timeless classic, and the cast executes it in a way you would think "Impossible," and your night in the theater is assured to be quite "A Lovely Night" for all ages. I happened to be sitting next to a young girl, about 7, who enjoyed the spectacle as much as me, my mother, and the couple behind us that appeared to be about 20. The songs are beautifully sang and choreographed and the show transports you back in time, while somehow managing to still be relatable.

Today, the roles of Ella, Topher, Gabrielle and Madame were played by their usual Cast. They held the audience with their talent and the music spoke for itself. Those in attendance were able to witness Jill Abramovitz (typically the Lady Of Ridicule and ensemble member) perform in place of Victoria Clark as Marie. I must honestly say, she is the youngest woman I have seen execute Impossible perfectly, and her voice is phenomenal. We also got to see Laura Irion perform in place of Ann HArada as Charlotte. I must say, while I adored Victoria and Ann in these roles, I really want to see these two fully perform the show because they perform the roles so perfectly.

It was a wonder to see Paige perform as Ella because she has a beautiful, strong glow to her that conveys Ella positively perfectly opposite Joe Carrol's Topher.

Overall, the cast is so kind and genuine, which is what makes Broadway in the Park such a wonderful thing, because at lunch you sit in this beautiful park, and you meet so many new people, and you get to meet and enjoy these Broadway performers, which isn't something you can get everywhere. 

They performed A Lovely Night, Impossible, and Loneliness of Evening (LINKS TO COME!)

Before their performance, I got the opportunity to talk to the cast that was present, who were absolutely overjoyed to perform at 106.7's Broadway In Bryant Park.


PRTC: Cinderella is a timeless classic. What do you like about the different aspects that are in the musical that weren't in the original?

Joe Carroll (Prince Topher) (@Joe_Carrollmich):  "I like that they've made Prince Topher a bit clueless and goofy, you know he's not the sort of archetype of a handsome prince. That's my favorite part about my part in particular. I like that there are some redeeming qualities to Gabrielle, so that at least one of the step sisters isn't as awful as they normally are. And the comedy! I like that it's so much funnier than the original"

Paige Faure (Ella): "I like how Cinderella really takes control of her destiny and really shows that she learns that she has power. It's really inspirational for me and a lot of young girls to realize that they can be smart and talented and really own who they are"

Stephanie Gibson (Gabrielle): "I love that this one has a new spin on it. It still has the classic fairy tale everybody knows and loves, but it sort of keeps you guessing, it keeps you interested and excited and it's a fun new take. It's quirkier, especially the role I play. there's some new added characters and I just think it keeps it fun and keeps everybody on their toes."

Laura Irion (Ensemble, Performing as Charlotte): "The Rodgers + Hammerstein songs are just, so beautiful, with a wonderful orchestra, and the story itself is just more relatable to girls today."

Jill Abramovitz (Ensemble, performing as Marie)(Jillaonline.com): "I think there's an incredible humor in our version. It's very human, it's very quirky, just like humans are and I think the audience really enjoys it


PRTC: Describe your Character in one word.

Joe Carroll: "Clueless." 

Paige Faure: "Oh gosh, oh goodness! Open."

Stephanie Gibson"Ooo! Ding-dong-brain! [laughter]"

Laura Irion: "I understudy Charlotte, so to describe her I guess I would need to use two words. She's A stinker."

Jill Abramovitz: "Well normally I'm part of the ensemble, so, the word I'd use for her is competitive."



PRTC: Are there any parallels between you and your character?

Joe Carroll"Absolutely."

Paige Faure: "Definitely, I think I more so at the end of the play when she is confident and strong, but I think that I've gone through some of the growth she's gone through as well as a girl becoming a woman."

Stephanie Gibson"Absolutely, almost too many! She's fun and spirited and full of life, and by the end she makes a major shift. By the end, its embracing herself, and this free spirit, and having fun, and being in love."

Laura Irion: "Oh absolutely, sometimes I'm a little sassy too."

Jill Abramovitz: "Sure, aren't we all competitive? Although, I most want to lay down in a corner and drink coffee. [Laughter]"


PRTC: Favorite scene to perform?

Joe Carroll: "I really like singing "Loneliness of Evening" with Paige, and the "Ten Minutes Ago" sequence when we see each other for the first time"

Paige Faure: "There's something about the song "He Was Tall" that there's a great freedom in it. It's just me on stage and there's sets moving behind me but it's really about reminiscing about what just happened and it's kind of creating these pictures of what just happened. It's my That Just Happened moment and there's something kind of beautiful about Living in that dream world that became a reality and making it real for yourself that I love just looking out to the darkness of the audience and performing that."

Stephanie Gibson"The one with Jean-Michel where we kiss and fall in love for sure."

Laura Irion: "I love doing "A Lovely Night," but in my normal role, the waltz at ball is just a dream because I've done this show with my same partner for about 500 performances, and we've gotten it down, and it's just kind of lovely to relax and dance and trust your partner."

Jill Abramovitz: "I love the waltz. It's just beautiful and I love it. I love the chance I get to dance with a partner.


PRTC: Hardest scene to perform?

Joe Carroll: "The Ball. The whole ten minute dance number never gets easier."

Paige Faure: "The Hardest scenes to perform are definitely the moments before the transformations when I'm crossing my fingers, going 'Alright just one more time' because I want the magic to be there and everyone to have the best experience possible, so there's always a bit of nerves about 'Oh i hope everything deploys correctly [Laughter].

Stephanie Gibson"One day, chasing after Cinderella with a tea kettle, I tripped and I fell on my face. [Laughter] I literally tripped and fell and I jumped up and I was like 'I'm ok! I'm alright!' but it was one of those theater moments where you felt the support of the audience but you move through it, and you found out they were forgiving."

Laura Irion : "Perhaps [laughter] I guess when I'm on as Charlotte, it would be the scenes with a ton of people, because I feel like I get in people's way everyone once and a while, and I'm in such a big costume, I'm afraid of hitting someone in the face with my giant collar, so I guess it would be just manuevering through everyone's normal track, trying not to mess anything up."

Jill Abramovitz: "The waltz as well, [laughter]"


PRTC: Describe Cinderella in one word.

Joe Carroll: "Breathtaking."

Paige Faure: "Magical."

Stephanie Gibson"Timeless."

Laura Irion: "Magical."

Jill Abramovitz: "Surprising."


PRTC: Favorite moment you've had with your cast mates since joining the show?

Joe Carroll: "OOO, my first performance, I felt like, because I, as you are a replacement you feel crazy overprepared but underrehearsed and everybody came together to support, and they were all just so incredible supportive so I think that really will go down as my favorite moment."

Paige Faure: "Any time when we are all on stage and I can look into everyone's eyes and connect because I'm so alone during this show. I'm in my own little corner so much and constantly changing clothes backstage so I don't get to be as social as I would like to be, so when we're on stage together and I can look at my fellow cast mates and really connect with them, that's my favorite thing."

Stephanie Gibson"Our opening night was pretty unbelievable, and getting to step into the role the first night of that as well was just wonderful"

Laura Irion: "I do have to say, doing the Tony's was really incredible because we were all up at the crack of dawn, getting ready, putting on our ball gowns, it was just so exciting. I really loved that, and just getting to be with them on stage everyday is just a dream. We just kind of have to remind ourselves, 'Hey, we get payed to play around with each other, and it makes people feel good,' and I just love being around other people"

Jill Abramovitz: "Maybe performing on the Tony's, because I'm not traditionally a dancer, so for me to perform on live television was a big challenge and meant so much to me to be with our cast is so wonderful because they're my family and I love them"


PRTC: What's something you want audiences to know about Cinderella?

Joe Carroll: "I want them to know it's not the Cinderella you expect, but it's the Cinderella you know and love, so it's unexpected but really really wonderful"

Paige Faure: "That it is not just for kids. It really is so touching. I mean, people come on dates to see this show, adults, of all ages, and it's funny and it's not just my mom who cried. Everyone who I see at the stage door is just 'This is just a beautiful show,' so I would say this is for everyone. "

Stephanie Gibson: "I promise you'll never forget it."

Laura Irion: "Come see it!"

Jill Abramovitz: "How completely irreverent everyone is backstage and what an awesome show we come together to make."


Next Thursday, make sure to catch ROCK OF AGES, ONCE, HEATHERS and GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER as they take the stage for the FOURTH week of 106.7 LITE FM’s Broadway in Bryant Park next Thursday, July 31st. And be sure to catch Cinderella at The Broadway Theater

UPDATE:
Loneliness of Evening
Impossible


I really liked this photo by Steve Prue for Clear Channel New York so I thought I would throw it in with the usual photos~





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Let me know in the comments!